- Open the YouTube website or app
- Look for the camera button or the circled “+” on mobile
- Select a short video to upload
- Fill out the detail fields and click Publish.
How to upload a YouTube short film
YouTube Shorts are YouTube’s answer to Instagram Reels and TikTok, and you’ll be glad to know that it’s easy to upload your own shorts to the web’s largest video sharing platform.
These quick videos are less than a minute long and offer a quick and easy way to grab the attention of a new audience.
However, there are a few tips and tricks to make the most of your short YouTube uploads that we have explained here. Whether you’re uploading from your Android, iOS or desktop device, here’s how to upload YouTube short films.
In this guide, we’ll walk you step-by-step through the process of uploading your YouTube Shorts on desktop and mobile, and give you a few useful tips on how to get the most out of your upload. So grab one of the best YouTube cameras and start recording your shorts now.
- phone, laptop or computer
- Short(s) ready to upload
- A YouTube account
- The YouTube app (mobile users only)
Steps to upload shorts to YouTube desktop
- While the experience and options are much better on mobile, desktop offers a good alternative if you’re uploading short clips of on-demand videos. First, open your browser and go to the YouTube websiteensure Sign in to your account if not already logged in.
- Once logged in, you will see the camera with a “+” icon in the top right corner of the YouTube website – click here.
- You will now see your channel’s content manager and click on there upload videos.
- Next is the YouTube Studio from where you can Drag or select your video file to upload. For shorts, your video must be no longer than 60 seconds and must have a square or vertical aspect ratio.
- Make sure you include #shorts in the headline so YouTube knows which algorithm to send it to.
- Add an Video title and description. Shorts are all about quick information and entertainment, so treat it like an elevator pitch. Scroll down for more details.
- Choose a thumbnail. You can either use a still from the video or upload your own – like the title, be flashy and exciting. If you want you can add the video to a playlistthen Scroll down for more details.
- The next step is important – child protection has become a big topic for YouTube, so you need to do this Indicate if your video is aimed at children (Be honest – it’s a legal requirement!). Scroll down for more details.
- (Optional) Click the More Options button. – Here you can enter more information to help YouTube tag your short film, including explanations about paid advertising, tags, language, subtitles and subtitles, and more. once completed, click on Continue”.
- (Optional) This one is more for larger video uploads and doesn’t seem to have a proven effect on shorts – you can anyway add video elements, like credits or info cards in your video. once completed, click on Continue”.
- YouTube ran copyright checks in the background throughout the upload process, the results of which are shown on this next screen. You don’t have to do anything here unless you need to report an issue with YouTube’s decision by clicking ‘Send feedback’ Text. Otherwise, Click next’.
- Choose your visibility level (public, unlisted or private) and where appropriate Plan the release of your short film.
- Finally, you can publish your short film either by clicking “Save” or “Schedule”.
Steps to upload to iPhone and Android
- Open your YouTube app on your mobile device and make sure you are signed in. then Click the + icon. in the middle of the toolbar at the bottom of your phone
- A menu opens – Click Create Short..
- You will be taken to a camera preview interface where you can do both Create short directly in the app or Click the square preview button bottom left to upload a premade clip.
- When you create a short film, Click on the circle in the upper right corner to choose your maximum video length, which is either 15 or 60 seconds. You can add sound to your shot with the top middle button (only available on 15 second clips) and use a range of effects, speed and timer settings via the toolbar on the right side of the screen.
- When you upload a clip, Click Done. Once you’re done editing, go back to the video capture screen.
- from here, click the check mark button bottom right when you are done capturing and uploading footage. YouTube recommends that short films be under 15 seconds, but you can use up to a minute of footage.
- You will now be taken to a video playback screen where you can do this add sound, text and filters and rearrange your clips. When you’re done, click ‘Next’
- Next, fill in the details of your shorts. Give the video a catchy caption that will grab the viewer’s attention, then click Viewability if you want change who can see your video. You can also Plan your short film from the visibility side.
- Click Select Audience. Here you can tell YouTube if your content is made for children or requires age restrictions.
- Last, Tap on “Comments” if you want to change how you review your audience’s comments.
- We are completely done with that; easy Tap Upload Short from the details page and watch the views trickle in!
Although uploading YouTube shorts is a simple process, there are a few ways you can easily maximize your efforts to increase your reach and video quality.
Short films are designed to grab attention quickly and effectively in order to expand your audience. So think carefully about the length of your content, as well as its relevance to your broader channel.
Making the content eye-catching, fast, and enticing for potential new viewers is crucial, especially if you want to become one of the best YouTube creators.