Exiled British King Prince Andrew’s disastrous, life-changing television interview about his close friendship with the late pedophile Jeffrey Epstein is being filmed.
Screenwriter Peter Moffat confirmed to Deadline that work has begun on Scoops, a film based on the November 2019 BBC interview that led to the 62-year-old prince being separated from the royal family by his mother, Queen Elizabeth II duties have been banned.
The strip is a big-screen adaptation of a book of the same name – released Thursday – which details the behind-the-scenes arguments that led to Andrew’s shocking decision to agree to the sit-down.
From Blockbuster Interview-winning producer Sam McAlister, the book “offers some very exciting drama,” Moffat told the outlet.
The indie production has yet to hire a director, and while the team has “thoughts” on actors to play the scandal-stricken king, “no one has been connected yet,” said Hilary Salmon of the production company behind it, The Lighthouse Film & Television .
The pair declined to comment on rumors that Hugh Grant had been approached – ones the “Notting Hill” star was quick to down.
“Never heard of it,” Grant, 61, tweeted Thursday, insisting he was “not” involved.
But every time the team has approached casting agents about the film, “the reaction is always the same, ‘Oh, wow,'” Salmon said.
In the bombshell interview, Andrew justified his enduring friendship with Epstein even after the latter was convicted of sex crimes against young girls, and spoke warmly of his longtime girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell, who has since been convicted of trafficking girls for Epstein.
He also denied knowing his own sex accuser, Virginia Roberts Giuffre – even suggesting a photo of them together was a hoax.
In a humiliating reversal, Andrew vowed never again to publicly accuse Giuffre of lying about being “an established victim of abuse” as he settled with her out of court for an estimated $12 million.
“Prince Andrew regrets his association with Epstein and commends the courage of Ms. Giuffre and other survivors to stand up for themselves and others,” his humble statement read in February.
The film will recreate the final interview but will focus more on ‘how the BBC’s Newsnight team got the information’ – specifically ‘why it was like that [Andrew] agree to do it,” Moffat told Deadline.
“How did he come to decide that doing a big, long interview with Emily Maitlis on the BBC was a good idea?” the screenwriter asked in disbelief.
It will also highlight how Andrew was seemingly crushed due to his sense of “entitlement” which made him “always feel in control”.
“He felt it went very well,” Salmon said of the sit-down, which was widely derided as a “car crash” for the Duke.
“Newsnight couldn’t have been fairer to him,” Moffat said, adding that Andrew “wasted every opportunity [interviewer Emily Maitlis] gave him all the right things to say to justify his friendship with Epstein, to say how sorry he was.”
Despite the settlement with Giuffre, Andrew – whose mother also later stripped him of his royal titles – has vehemently denied her claims. His TV chat came three months after Epstein killed himself in his Manhattan jail in August 2019 while awaiting further serious sexual abuse charges.
Buckingham Palace did not comment on the film.